Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meal Plans Week 4

I love it when meal plans work out and work to your advantage!  This week I am so glad I had them prepped and ready to go!  This week my brother was in the hospital, and I had an animal emergency.  Dinner was ready when we got home.  Other than the sides dishes that take a little time to cook.


Saturday-Roasted Garlic Lemon Whole Chicken with broccoli and caramelized onions
Sunday-White chicken chili with collards
Monday - Lamb and Beef Meat loaf with mashed turnips and peas(kids will eat fried potatoes)
    **side note, make a double batch and freeze for a night that you are not prepared for dinner.
Tuesday - Asian Pepper Steak with white rice and cauliflower  
Wednesday***-Pineapple BBQ chicken with roasted brussel sprouts and grain free cheese bread
Thursday-Make your own pizza night
Friday-Shrimp Creole





  
Some of the chaos after prepping all day

I decided to show you one way(or a way that I use) to make your whole chicken last longer and get your money's worth.  I roasted the whole chicken that we ate Saturday.  I pulled off the chicken that was left(1 breast and tenderloin and 1/2 other breast).    I put chicken carcass and bones from dinner and any juice from the pan in crock-pot,  covered with water added some sea salt and set on low.  It cooked about 16 hours.  I strained the broth and pulled off the rest of meat left on chicken(about another cup).  I got about 5 quarts of broth. 

1/2 the broth was used for chicken chili and collards and other will go into freezer.  All of small pieces of chicken will be used for chili and I will save the rest for lunches...I got 2 lunches out of the rest of chicken.


 Crockpot Pineapple BBQ Chicken
Ingredients
3 – 4 chicken breast frozen, (I used bone-in so I could save bones for later, you could also use whole chicken and double everything else)

1 Bottle of BBQ Sauce (organic or homemade)

1 Can of Crushed Pineapple, 20 oz.

1 Medium Onion, diced

2 Cloves Garlic

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Add onion and garlic and chicken to crockpot and dump BBQ sauce and pineapple on top.
Cook on low for 8-10  hours.  Shred and eat on rolls or tortillas.


         **Brussel sprouts are in season right now at our farmers market and most days my kids will eat them.  Sometimes raw and sometimes cooked.  I love roasting them.  Add a little lard(or butter) and roast at 425 for about 20-25 minutes until crispy!  Enjoy!!

Being prepared has helped my when I have sudden changes in plan.  If you have dinner in the crock-pot or ready to cook, you don’t have to stress when you get home because the prep work is already done for you.  Try it for one week, plan, buy and prep your meals for the week.  Follow me on pinterest and see some of the recipes I pin or try some of the recipes that I post here on my blog. 

Enjoy

Real Food - Real Life - Real Simple




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis