Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Not just skinless boneless chicken....BORING

      If you haven't noticed,  I don’t eat only ground beef or just chicken breast.    I eat a varied diet with the seasons as much as possible.  I try not to eat the same thing 2 days in a row.  It is hard, but it is part of my CHEK training.  The 4 day rotation diet.  CHEK practitioners have to teach many aspects of holistic healing,  nutrition is just one.   Trying to get people out of the 'I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast diet' is hard.   In the 4 day rotation diet, you don't eat the same food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner for 4 days in a row, then after 4 days you can have that food again. This is one of the hardest things to master, however when you do, it does a lot for your digestion, mentality, vibrancy and life.  I might start compiling a list of the foods that are for breakfast as well, so you can see the variety of foods eaten. 



  
Stealing broccoli before I could cut it!





  The average American eats only 15 foods.  15!  (chicken/turkey, beef or pork, pizza, potatoes, cheese, bread, some sort of pasta, peanut butter, carrots, corn, bananas, apples and some fish, primarily tuna, are at the top of the list) These can be prepared differently of course, but it is the same thing over and over and over.  How BORING!    
    There are over 4 MILLION varieties of foods(protein, veggies, fruits and fats) that are available to us worldwide.  When you limit the variety to 15, you are limiting A LOT of essential nutrients, like vitamins and minerals and putting your body in a deficient state where disease can take over. 
    I try to get as many proteins and variety in my family each week.  All for nourishing growing bodies and brains, and to keep us vibrant, active and healthy.   We need to have variety in our diet so that our body can use the nutrients in those foods for healing, nourishing and growing!

 
My daughter and niece at our pizza/salmon dinner last Friday night.  They both love broccoli too!


Meal Plans:
Sunday-Crock pot beef fajitas-with soaked rice and kale chips
    I have also prepped chicken broth today by boiling almost an entire chicken.  Using the cooked meat for chicken salad. Started soaking and sprouting my beans for bean soup and tacos.
 
Monday- Beef spaghetti with rice noodles
    My daughter gets her braces adjusted and is usually sore that evening, so soft food that is easy to chew and her request is usually spaghetti.

Tuesday-Bean and ham soup with grain-free cornbread and sweet potato fries

Wednesday-***Catalonian Cod Soup with wheat free foccachia and cauliflower
    I have been getting some cold water fish straight from Alaska and they usually send recipes with the fish.  I love the idea of a fish soup(I remember my nanny making a similar version)

Thursday - Chicken nuggets with steamed broccoli and Brazilian cheese rolls

Friday-Taco night(ground venison and all the fixins’)
    Did I tell you about my farmer friend who is going to give me the deer that he has to get off his property and all I have to pay is the processing fee!  So excited!


On a side note, I could use a few extra hours in the morning....just saying, but at least I can have coffee again(with butter and gelatin of course!)


My daughter snapped this picture of me prepping veggies.



Catalonian Cod Soup Recipe  (This recipe is adapted from The Great Alaska Seafood Company)

1/3 cup pine nuts or slivers almonds-toasted
4 large cloves of garlic-minced
2 cups chopped onions
1 TBLS-butter
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes-drained
4 cups homemade chicken stock
2/3 cup dry white wine or 1 more cup chicken stock
1 1/2 lbs cod filets(great-alaskan seafood company)
2 TBLS dried parsley or 1/2 cup fresh
4 slices Italian bread or 1 1/2 croutons optional

In a food processor, grind nuts and garlic to a paste.  In large dutch oven(stock pot) cook onions in butter 3-5 minutes, add garlic paste, turmeric, tomatoes, stock and wine.  Bring to a simmer, cook 10 minutes.  Rinse any ice from cod, turn off heat and gently add seafood to liquid, skin side down.  Return heat to simmer, cover and cook 4-5 minutes for frozen or 2 for thawed.  Turn off heat and let rest for 5 minutes.  Break cod into chunks and stir in parsley and (bread if using) cook an additional 3 minutes.

Serve warm


Can substitute halibut, sole or pollock filets

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis